St. Louis Catholic Primary School was founded by the nuns of the Order of St Louis. The nuns had come to England from the Angers area of France and in the early days, in order to make ends meet, had taken in laundry. In 1902 they decided that they would open a school in the convent. The convent building can still be seen next door in what is now West Hill House. Photographs still in existence show children using tennis courts and playing in the orchard. There are also pictures of some quite severe looking nuns! In the early days children wore a uniform of yellow blouse for girls and shirt for boys and brown cardigans or pullovers, have a look at the pictures below! Boys also wore a black blazer trimmed with yellow. Boaters and caps were also worn. The original school bell was recently given to the school as a reminder of those days.
Over the years the number of children grew and in October 1970 St Louis officially opened as the Catholic school with two ‘temporary’ classrooms which would be later extended to include other classrooms and a hall. An entry in the School Log of that first day can be seen below. Numbers of children continued to grow and in 1994 St Louis became a Primary school. Major rebuilding works were completed in February 2008 making our school light, airy and providing a high quality learning environment and a school for us all to be proud of. During the years from 1970 to the present day, there have been just four Headteachers: Sr Mary McMahon, Sr Josephine Goggins, Mr Terry Burton and Mr Richard Triggs. The last three of those Headteachers can be seen in the gallery of photos below standing together at the opening of the refurbished school in 2008.
Many of the parents of children at the school now came to St Louis, as did many of the grandparents. It gives the school a distinctive family atmosphere